If you currently have these thoughts, you might be in a state of self-blame. This stage is anger at yourself.
- “I should have seen this coming.”
- “Why didn’t I leave when I had a chance?”
- “I should have gotten my degree long ago.”
- “I’ll never find another job, my skills are useless.”
- “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve”
Here are some things that you can do to help move through this stage in your loss:
- Take care of yourself.
- Give yourself time off from your job search to do things that energize you (make a list).
- Volunteer to get outside of your own head and situation.
- Do quiet job-search activities (write resume, research, look for job leads).
- Because of low energy and low self-esteem, this is not the time to network.
- This stage can mirror depression, so if you cannot get out of bed for days or weeks at a time and you cannot find a reason to move forward, talk with a medical professional.